20th Century Fox is known for producing some of the most significant movies that the world has ever seen. Films like Cleopatra and Avatar revolutionized the way that movies were made, and 20th Century Fox shows no signs of slowing down.
It leads one to wonder what it’s like behind the scenes at the Fox Studio Lot. What is it about this studio that makes it so capable of producing blockbuster after blockbuster? In this article, we’re going to share some information about the production services, stages, buildings and services that make the Fox Studio Lot so special.
What Is the Fox Studio Lot?
The original FOX studio was opened in 1928 in Century City, 7 years before merging with 20th Century Pictures. Since then, the studio has continued to develop into one of the most influential and well-known movie studios in the world.
The Fox Studio Lot is a fully-integrated facility of more than 50 acres that provides filmmakers and producers with the opportunity to develop high-quality films using state-of-the-art technology.
Fox Studios can accommodate full-length features, events, television shows, music videos, still shoots, and all manner of projects involving film. Their production and post-production teams, food services, and other amenities are among the best in the industry.
So What’s It Like to Make a Movie in Fox Studio Lot?
There are a lot of different services and departments to be found inside the Fox Studio Lot. These departments can be used in a variety of ways to help filmmakers create the films of their dreams.
Production Services Department
The Fox Studio Production Services Department provides a massive variety of services for helping producers turn their films from mere ideas into reality.
If you’re making a film at the Fox Studio Lot, you can take advantage of these services:
- Costumes Department. The Fox Studio Lot Costumes Department has an impressive array of contemporary and alternative costumes available for filmmakers and actors to take advantage of. They can also create or custom-tailor clothes to suit the needs of different films.
- Print Services Department. The Print Services Department can be used to help create prints, posters, flyers, signs, or anything else that needs to be printed to aid in the production of a movie.
- Paint Shop. The Paint Shop provides a variety of different paints and painting services to help with the development and design of different studio sets.
- Set Lighting. An extensive team of professionals who work with lighting can help producers find the perfect solution for their lighting needs. Making use of state-of-the-art equipment and technology, the Fox Studio Set Lighting department provides top-notch service.
- Stages and Exteriors. There are a variety of different stages and exteriors that can be utilized at the Fox Studio Lot. Some of the most popular stages include their replica of a New York City street that can be adapted for various purposes
Food Services & Special Events
Nobody’s going to go hungry at the Fox Studio Lot. The studio provides a variety of food services that can be used by people present at the studio. They can also organize catering and special events.
- Cafeteria. At the cafeteria, you can get a quick take-out meal if you’re on the run or you can sit down and enjoy a meal with the whole crew.
- Commissary. Originally known as the Cafe del Paris, the Commissary is recognized as being the oldest, unchanged studio commissary in the world today. The Commissary might not be open to the public, but if you’re working on a movie at the Studio you’ll be well-fed here.
- Moe’s Cafe. The most recent addition to the Fox Studio food services is Moe’s Cafe, where you can enjoy breakfast, lunch, or smoothies during the afternoon.
- Catering & Special Events. The Commissary and the News Cafe both offer catering for meetings and events. You can custom-design menus or choose from pre-set menu options, and catering can be provided for both on and off-lot services.You can also plan anything from a party to a parking service here with the Food Services and Special Events crew. Depending on where you go, the Studio can accommodate as many as 4,000 people for special events.
Post-Production Sound Services
The Post-Production Sound Services at Fox Studio lot can help producers dial in the sound effects, music, and audio of their creations. Some of the most impressive post-production sound services that you can take advantage of include:
- ADR services. There are two ADR stages available at the Fox Studio Lot. Each stage uses high-end technology and computer software to ensure that you can get the best sound quality and dubs for your film.
- Audio Services. A number of general audio services can also be found in the Post-Production Sound Services. These services are involved in helping with the mixing, editing, or restoration of sound quality in films. Some things that producers can take advantage of include:
- Soundtrack mixing. Here, producers can utilize music replacement, international dialog dubbing, upmixing, downmixing, commentary, and other audio overdubbing.
- Blu-ray disc and DVD audio soundtrack mastering.
- Audio restoration which can be used to help restore damaged or degraded audio.
- Audio laybacks in HD and standard definition.
- Soundtrack creation, with sound design, project sound supervision, and dialog, music, and sound effects editorial.
- Audio suites, featuring 5 Mix Suites, Digidesign ProTools HD systems, and 7.1 Genelec Monitoring
- Media services. Included in the Post-Production Sound Services Department is the Fox Media Services department. This department helps with processing media and working with modern high-tech digital media technologies. Here, producers will be able to work with teams of professionals to help with encoding, editing, duplication, conversions, watermarking, and finishing their overall electronic delivery.
- Scoring. The Newman Scoring Stage at Fox Studios is one of the industry leaders in sound scoring and features a state-of-the-art scoring console. Here, professionals work with all manner of different sound formats to produce top-quality sound.
- Sound Mixing. The Fox Studio Lot features three transfer bays that can help you transfer and mix audio from traditional analog formats in both film, tape, and digital formats.
If you’re going to be making a movie at Fox Studio Lot, you can expect the best that the industry has to offer. The Fox Studio Lot makes use of high-end state-of-the-art technology and has trained professionals to assist you with all aspects of movie production and development.