Fox Studio Lot is known for providing one of the world’s leading facilities for producing movies. Not only are their production facilities top-of-the-line, but they also provide state-of-the-art post-production services to help ensure that movies can be polished before being released.
Fox Studio Lot’s Post-Production Services department provides cutting-edge technology with established industry professionals and a fantastic atmosphere. The Post-Production complex itself is considered by many to be an architectural and artistic feat.
Fox Studios is dedicated to continually improving the technology available in its Post-Production Services department. The Post-Production facilities can be found in four of the original Fox Sound stages, right next to screening and projecting rooms.
These are some of the services that you can expect to find at the Fox Studio Lot’s Post-Production Services Department.
ADR (Automated Dialog Replacement)
The Post-Production Services Department offers two separate ADR stages. Each one can be used to provide traditional analog-style or modern digital recordings and playback for dialog replacement and dubbing.
The two stages are named after film and television icons Marge Simpson and Marilyn Monroe. The Marge Simpson stage is 24′ x 24′ with a 14′ ceiling, and the Marilyn Monroe stage is 32′ x 29′ with a 24′ ceiling.
Both stages feature phone patch and Dolby fax ISDN capabilities, Pro Tool v.10 or v.11, QuickKeys software, and Aspera electronic file delivery. Fox Studio’s Food Services department can provide food for both stages.
Fox Studio Lot’s Post-Production Services provides a variety of different audio services. In this department, producers will be able to have the sounds and music in their films mixed, edited, restored, or conformed until it sounds just right.
Industry professionals can help you mix and master audio for both SD and HD formats. Some of the services provided include:
Soundtrack Mixing and Mastering
- International dialog dubbing for both films and television shows
- Dubbing for Director’s or Extended Cuts
- Near-field mixing
- Music replacement
- Audio Transfer
- Dolby Digital Plus and DTS Master Audio bitstream encoding
- Professionals can help you restore damaged or degraded sound
- Experts can help supervise sound projects, provide editorials on dialog, music, and sound, and help with sound design
- 5 mix suites and 1 audio suite
- Systems equipped with Digidesign ProTools
- Trinnov monitor matrix
Foley – the reproduction of everyday sound effects that can be added to films, television shows, and other media formats – is an important part of film production. The Jane Russel Foley Stage at the Fox Studio Lot is known as one of the best in the industry.
The unique and talented sound artists at this Foley stage have a particular talent for making noise from everyday objects. The stage, which is operated and managed by One Step Up, can provide recording for both analog and digital formats.
The dimensions of the stage itself are 32′ x 29′, with 24′ to the ceiling. The Foley screen is 15′ x 10′, and the projector throw is 30′.
Fox Media Services provides a number of important services required for the proper processing, production, and finishing of various types of media. In this department, you can touch up your media files so that they meet certain specifications, adhere to client demands, and optimize space and efficiency.
Some of the services include:
- Encoding and transcoding to client specs
- Telecine – film to tape
- Duplication of both HD and SD formats
- Cadence correction
- Watermarking on HD/SD tape, DVDs, and media files
- Electronic delivery of files
Scoring is an important part of film production, and one of the best places to get scoring done is at the Newman Scoring Stage at the Fox Studio Lot. Re-opened relatively recently in 1997, the Newman Scoring Stage quickly returned to its spot as the industry leader in scoring technology.
The scoring console itself provides some impressive technology.
- AMS-Neve 88RS recording console with 96 channels
- 48 channels of Neve remote microphone preamps
- Genelec 5.1 monitor system
- Dual Genelec 1094A subwoofers
- A digital video projection system
- A variety of modern and state-of-the-art microphones from brands like Neumann, Schoeps, Royer, etc.
- Lexicon 960 and 480 digital reverb
- TC Electronics 6000 digital effects
When your production is ready to share with the world, you’re best off to show it to a relatively small audience at first. The screening rooms at the Fox Studio Lot allow you to share your production with groups of up to 476 people.
There are six different screening rooms:
- The Darryl F. Zanuck Theatre, which has 476 seats and is the only theatre with handicap accommodations
- Little Theatre, with 120 seats
- The James Blakely Theatre, hosting 92 seats
- The William Fox Theatre, with 53 seats
- Screening Room S and Screening Room Z, each with 33 seats
The Fox Sound Mixing Studio is continually renovated and upgraded to ensure that the experts working here are only working with state-of-the-art equipment. The most recent renovation led to a serious enhancement of their dubbing, editing, and audio transfer capabilities.
The complex features several dubbing stages, 14 editing rooms, and 3 audio transfer bays. The close proximity and clever design allow directors, sound editors, and mixers to work simultaneously on the same projects.
The feature of the Sound Mixing facility is the Nexus Digital Routing system. This piece of equipment is unique in the filmmaking industry and removes some of the difficulties commonly encountered in post-production sound mixing.
By converting different sampling rates and manipulating them so that they can be worked with at a standard rate of 48 kHz, the Nexus Digital Routing system can easily move and adjust audio data without having to first convert it to audio.
The Sound Mixing Facilities also include:
- 3 dubbing theatres – the Howard Hawks, John Ford, and Robert Wise Dubbing Theatres – all equipped with a Neve Digital Film Console
- A conference room
- Producer’s booths designed for maximum comfort
- An on-site kitchen and cafe facility
- A 7-room editorial suite
The Fox Studio Post Production Services also hosts a number of sound transfer bays. These bays allow professionals to transfer sound among different formats, both analog and digital.